Several independent studies have shown that the lack of natural light can lead to drowsiness, poor health, bad attitude, and low productivity.
- Schools that make use of skylights and tubular skylights see better concentration and improved test scores.
- Natural lighting in stores produces higher profits and more pleasant employee/customer relations.
- Customers are more relaxed in day-lit stores and can see the products and labels clearly.
- Customers seem to have positive feelings about the day-lit stores and identify those stores with an airy clean feeling.
- A store with skylights is observed to have a higher sales index than an equivalent store without natural light.
- Skylights increase productivity in manufacturing buildings and morale in office buildings.
There is a definite relationship between day-lighting and human performance and there additional benefits to natural lighting as well:
- Lowers your power bills by reducing electricity used to illuminate the room
- Brings less heat into interior spaces unlike electric lights
- Reduces your carbon footprint